This is a Non-shooting course that teaches students the basic knowledge and skills to safe handling of a firearm.
Students will learn:
- Basic gun safety & fundamentals
- Loading / Reloading / Unloading of the firearm
- Aim & accuracy techniques
- How to clear jams, deal with misfires
- Stand your ground approach with situational awareness
Previous experience with firearms is not required.
Students will be given access to SOTC firearms.
Estimated length of course: About 8 hours in classroom with 4 hours in the gun range
- Over the age of 21
- US Citizen or Permanent Resident
- No felony convictions
- Current valid Guard Card or current PTA & WMD Certificate
* For anyone who is interested in having individual time with a trained instructor, please refer to Private Firearms Training options.
You will need to bring:
- Government issued ID
- Proof of citizenship, please visit https://www.bsis.ca.gov/industries/citizenship_proof.shtml for acceptable documents as evidence of U.S. citizenship or U.S. permanent resident status
Additional Fees Required upon completing training course:
- Psychological Firearms Assessment Fee $60.00 – Paid to the PSI Center
- Firearms Live Scan Fee $107.00 – Paid to the Live Scan Facility referred to
- Initial Firearms State Fee: $100.00 – Paid to the Bureau of Security and Investigative Services
SOTC does NOT offer refunds on purchased classes. No exceptions. Course must be completed within three months from the date of your payment.